Once the kids have created their wish list, they need to send it to their parents.
Getting that concept across to the students wasn’t all that easy. I thought the kids would see that the main purpose of the app was to create a list and send it to the people who will buy the gifts (for them). They completely forgot about this part of the app.
Most kids thought they could push a button and the list would magically go to their parents. They didn’t realize that we needed their parent’s email address. They also wanted a way to send their list to their friends (who didn’t get the app, or who don’t have an iPhone or iPod).
I tried working with them on the logistics of how to do this (send the parents a link to the website, and have the parents see the list at the website), but this was lost on them. They didn’t really “get” the idea of cloud storage (where their lists are stored), or how do send the email (with the web link) to the parents. I also found out that many of the students did not have email enabled on their mobile device.
We switched gears and talked about list re-ordering: will they want to change the order of the items in the list. Re-ordering was one of the primary reasons I thought the app was a good idea – I saw my own daughter change the priority of gifts on her hand-written list constantly. We agreed on the standard Apple method of reordering the list – put the app into EDIT mode, and then drag each item into its proper order.
We were meeting about three times per week, so my primary task after we met was to implement what they came up with. I was working about 10 hours per day, six days per week, programming the screens on the app, how the app communicated with the cloud and the cloud infrastructure. After 3 weeks or so, I was getting close to showing them the first demo of the app, but I still had a slew of outstanding issues to resolve with them.