From time to time, I give a talk to sighted audiences on how the Blindfold Games got started, what’s important in building an accessible audio game, and what I’ve learned over the past four years. These talks have motivated other people, such as programmers, to apply their skills in creating new technologies for the visual impaired community.
While I’m speaking, I project some images on the screen behind me – I use a combination of a video showing people playing Blindfold Racer from 2013, and some pictures I’ve taken over the years: at the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind, at the Veteran’s Association Medical center in Miami, and at the Perkins School.
If you like playing Blindfold Games, I would like to add to your picture to this presentation: either a selfie of you, or a picture of you playing a game on your iPhone or iPad. If you need instructions on taking a selfie and finding the photo, I’ve included instructions at the bottom of this blog. Each selfie will be on the screen for a few seconds.
If you can help me out, please send your photo to email@example.com
How to take a selfie when using voice-over
- Find the camera app, and double tap on it.
- Swipe left or right on the screen to find the camera chooser button that switches the camera from front-facing to back-facing, and select front-facing.
- Swipe left or right on the screen to find camera mode, and select photo. The other camera mode options include square, video and slo-mo. You may have to switch the rotor to adjust value. Once that’s set, swipe up and down to find camera mode photo and double tap.
- Hold the phone with the screen facing your face, and press the volume up or volume down button. It takes a picture each time you press the volume button.
- Swipe left and right to find the photo-video view button, and double tap.
- The photo you just took is now on the screen. It will also have a label saying today, and the time you took the photo. Swipe right until you find the SHARE button. Double tap once you’ve found the share button.
- Swipe left until you reach the MAIL button and double tap.
- Email your selfie to firstname.lastname@example.org