Since it looks like WishToList will be the app’s name, I invited the students up to the whiteboard to draw an icon for the app. If the icon was good enough, I could take a photo and use it.
You can see the best contenders at the top. The students more or less agreed on a sroll image, so I had a professional graphic designer come up with several variants following the WishToList jingle that two of the girls created, we added some pixie dust (stars) and some wands. The designer gave me about 10 variants, modifying the color scheme, star size and wand placement. The students selected the following, and that’s what we’re using:
We also needed to put together the some videos to help new users understand how the app worked. Originally, I was going to have each student read a paragraph of text, and play that text when a user first sees a screen (such as the WISH LIST screen, or the FRIENDS screen or the SETTINGS screen). I recorded several students reading the text, I couldn’t get a consist “feel” to the help, so we scrapped that idea.
Instead, I had one student rehearse and narrate a short video about how to use the major features of the app,
and wrote text for the other helps. When a user first reaches a new screen, a 2 paragraph help pops up first and explains how to use the screen.
We were almost ready for the 3rd demo of the app. If it goes well, we can move on to real-world testing.